DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah Law Offices LLC
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000


IL immigration lawyerThe U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) oversees the lawful immigration to the United States. Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, many immigration services have been conducted remotely or online as opposed to in-person over the past few months. USCIS has started to safely resume in-person services, but some naturalization ceremonies may still be conducted differently compared to the past. Those individuals who wish to become a natural citizen must complete an Application for Naturalization, which is Form N-400. Once accepted, he or she must take the Oath of Allegiance at a naturalization ceremony, which is the final step in completing the legal process to become a U.S. citizen. There are two different types of ceremonies, judicial, and administrative. The court administers the Oath of Allegiance in a judicial ceremony. USCIS administers the Oath of Allegiance in an administrative ceremony.

Components of the Naturalization Ceremony

The principles in the Oath of Allegiance can be found in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which stipulates that all applicants shall take an oath to support and defend the U.S. Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, whether foreign or domestic. It also states that an individual will renounce any allegiance to a foreign power from his or her native country.

The following is a synopsis of what takes place during a naturalization ceremony:

Hits: 49

IL immigration lawyerMany people who were born in other countries dream of coming to the United States to live. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is an agency within the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that manages the country’s naturalization and immigration system. In some situations, immigrants to the United States may be deported if they are found to be there illegally. To begin the immigration removal process, DHS will typically issue a Notice to Appear or NTA. An NTA can be delivered in person or via mail by an immigration officer, and it contains important information about the removal proceedings. There are different types of hearings that can be scheduled as part of the process, such as individual hearings, bond redetermination hearings, and rescission hearings. Regardless of the type of hearing, it is imperative to be prepared to secure a positive outcome.

Preparation Is Key

An immigration hearing can last several days, and statements are given under oath. It is an opportunity to build a strong defense against deportation and convince the government that you deserve to live and work legally in the United States. A DHS attorney will question you, any witnesses, and submit documentation and arguments in opposition to the requested grant of relief.

Any type of court trial or hearing requires preparation ahead of time. You do not want to jeopardize your chance for success when you take the stand in immigration court and you do not understand what you are trying to prove or how to prove it. Describe your situation as clearly and concisely as possible. Do not exaggerate your circumstances, but do not minimize them either.

Hits: 142

IL immigration lawyerU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced an administrative change that is aimed to allow for more flexibility during the processing of employment authorization documents (EADs) for asylum applicants by removing the existing required 30-day time frame. This rule will become effective as of Aug. 21, 2020. Depending on their situations, certain aliens who are living in the United States temporarily may be eligible for a work permit. They can request work authorization using Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Once approved, these individuals will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to work in the country. U.S. employers have a duty to check that all employees, regardless of their nationality or citizenship status, are allowed to work in the country. If someone is not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR), he or she can still work in the United States if he or she has a valid EAD.

Amendment to Time Limits

This change in policy allows USCIS enough time to receive, screen, and process applications. Officials can also address national security and fraud concerns, as well as identity verification techniques. This helps deter those who may attempt to defraud the U.S. immigration system. It also gives USCIS flexibility to amend resources as needed. Previously, the agency had to move resources away from other types of immigration benefit requests in order to comply with the 30-day time frame.

USCIS implemented the 30-day time frame more than two decades ago. In the past 20 years, the number of people applying for asylum has increased exponentially. As a response, USCIS created enhanced background screening and vetting protocols to safeguard against fraud or threats to public safety and national security.

Hits: 196

IL immigration lawyerThe U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency is a federal law enforcement agency under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The agency is responsible for protecting the United States by enforcing border control, customs, trade, and immigration laws for public safety and national security. ICE officials detain those individuals who are considered a “flight risk” and may move to another place within the country or who may be a danger to others. By being detained, the government ensures that the non-citizen will appear before the Immigration Court to plead his or her case. It is crucial that immigrants seek professional legal counsel for guidance on their options.

Grounds for Detention

If a person is detained by ICE officials, it does not mean he or she will automatically be deported. A detainee can plead his or her case to an Immigration Judge, who will make the final decision. There are several grounds that an immigrant can be detained, including:

  • Committed a crime or multiple crimes
  • Arrived at the border without a visa before officially applying for refugee or asylum status
  • Has a pending or past due deportation order on record
  • Missed prior immigration hearing dates

Immigration Bonds

After being detained, a non-citizen can seek to be released on a bond. In situations where detention is based on a criminal conviction, an individual may not be eligible to receive a bond. The two types of immigration bonds available to immigrants detained by ICE are:

Hits: 156

IL immigration lawyerThe immigration process involves many forms and steps. To those who have never gone through it, it can be confusing. Depending on the type of immigration benefit the applicant is seeking, he or she may be required to pass a medical examination. For example, those wishing to receive adjustment of status or K or V nonimmigrant visas must have an exam performed by an authorized physician or civil surgeon. It can be performed abroad or within the States. During the exam, the doctor reviews the applicant’s medical and vaccination history. In addition, a new physical, blood test, and chest X-ray will be conducted. However, immigrants who are under 15 years old are typically not required to have a chest X-ray or blood test.

Medical Grounds of Inadmissibility

Although it is not considered a comprehensive physical examination, the exam that is used for immigrant visa applicants does screen for certain conditions. The physician checks different areas of the applicant’s body to identify any condition that would designate him or her as inadmissible to the United States. The doctor can administer any required vaccinations that the individual may be missing. The applicant must agree to be vaccinated and submit proof of the vaccination.

Specific health conditions can be considered a threat to public health. Therefore, a person may not be granted immigration benefits on the basis of medical grounds of inadmissibility. Some of the most common communicable diseases of public concern include:

Hits: 231

Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from four offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted