Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


58 N. Chicago Street, Suite 500, Joliet, IL 60432

Phone: 815-727-4500


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100

After Deportation: Re-entry or Resignation?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 794
  • Print

Chicago immigration attorneys, deportation, deportation order, deportation proceedings, lawful permanent residentSometimes, as hard as we fight, we fail to prevent deportation. There are a variety of reasons why your petition or appeal might have been declined, and if you exhaust all possible remedies, you will be removed. However, that does not necessarily end the story. Some admit defeat and resign themselves to building a life in their country of origin, despite not having any experience there since childhood. Others explore the options they have to return to the United States from their position outside. Whichever choice you decide, it is important to understand the odds of being able to return before a bar runs out.

Immigration Bars & Waivers

If you are deported from the United States, an immigration bar will be assessed against you, which can be a term of three, five, 10 or 20 years. It is important to understand, possibly above all else, that the expiration of an immigration bar on your record does not mean that you may simply walk back into the U.S. without any potential problems. It only means you may apply for permission to ask for a new visa or green card. The only way to get around an immigration bar is to apply for one of two types of waivers: first, if you are the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) and your being barred from the U.S. would cause them (not you) exceptional and extremely unusual hardship.

If you were deported, as opposed to leaving the U.S. voluntarily, you would begin the return process by filing an I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission. Depending on the nature of the reason for your deportation, you may also have to file an I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds for Inadmissibility. This is not the same as a waiver of the bar—this means asking the government to overlook something in your past—a crime, an overstay, et cetera—so that you will be able to apply for a visa. If you have no inadmissibility on your record, an I-601 is not necessary, but most people are rendered inadmissible if they have been placed in removal proceedings and deported.

Navigating the Process

While the process of achieving reentry to the U.S. is difficult and for some people, there is a clear-cut set of criteria that one can examine in order to make sure they meet as many as possible. Set out in the case of Matter of Tin, (Comm. 1978), Immigration & Naturalization Services (INS, as it was known at the time) held that there are multiple factors that must be evaluated in determining whether a grant of reentry is possible. Some of them include length of legal (not undocumented) residence in the U.S., the length of time since removal, whether or not the applicant has family or professional responsibilities in the U.S., and evidence of any rehabilitation if the ground for deportation was a crime.

It is also important to remember that U.S. jurisprudence also holds that if the only thing on a person’s record is the immigration violation itself, rather than any kind of criminal charge, that is not sufficient grounds to deny someone reentry. Waivers are intended to be a second chance at living legally in the United States, and if someone demonstrates no other ground of inadmissibility (as well as evidence of good character), it is intended that they be granted that chance.

Enlist an Experienced Attorney

If you or a loved one has been deported and seek to reenter the country, you will have a difficult fight ahead, but it is not an impossible one. Above all else, seeking out a knowledgeable immigration lawyer in the U.S. can make a huge difference. The Chicago immigration attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices LLC will help you work out the best options for you and your family going forward. Call us today to set up a free consultation.




  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 35 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Joliet, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted