Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


58 N. Chicago Street, Suite 500, Joliet, IL 60432

Phone: 815-727-4500


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100

What as a Bar to Re-entry?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2022
  • Print

bar to re-entry, Chicago immigration attorneys, Form I-212, Mevorah Law Offices LLC, voluntary departure, waiver of inadmissibilityWhen someone enters the United States without inspection, he or she may be arrested and deported. Afterward, the individual must wait to re-enter the country for a specific period of time, lest he or she face consequences. Many people confuse this “re-entry bar” with the bars against permanent residence. It is extremely important for potential immigrants to understand the difference between the two, lest they make a mistake that leaves them on the outside looking in—permanently.

After Removal

When you are granted a visa to enter the United States, it will have a specific expiration date of which you must abide. If you do not, and you are caught, you will be issued an Order of Removal. A final Order of Removal means that you are not being granted any form of immigration relief, and gives you a specific time frame in which to leave the country. You may be granted voluntary departure, which allows you to leave without being compelled and no bar will be assessed against your return. However, you may not be—and if you are not, you will have some time to wait before you are permitted to apply for re-entry into the United States.

Those who are not granted voluntary departure must wait out a bar before they can try to obtain a new American visa, unless they can obtain a waiver. Temporary bars are five, 10 and 20 years, depending on several factors. The Immigration & Nationality Act (INA) generally states:

  • A five-year bar is appropriate for first-time offenders, or for those who were subject to expedited removal (immediate removal back across a border without hearing or detention);
  • A 10-year bar is for those removed after a hearing (including appeals);
  • A 20-year bar is for those removed more than once; and
  • A permanent bar is for those convicted of an aggravated felony, which is a specific type of crime found to be against the national interest.

If you decide to attempt to re-enter the U.S. without waiting out your bar or obtaining a waiver, the Order of Removal against you may be reinstated, meaning that you may be deported without access to an immigration judge or hearing. You may also be charged with illegal reentry, which is a federal crime. If this occurs you will likely be facing a permanent bar.

Being Re-admitted

It is possible to be granted a new visa after being removed—even if you were assessed a ‘permanent’ bar— but it is difficult and time-consuming. The most common way of doing this is to try and obtain a waiver of inadmissibility, as bars render someone inadmissible even if he or she was otherwise admissible. Waivers are available for most grounds of inadmissibility, such as disease or criminal conviction (depending on what the person was convicted of), and that does include violators of immigration laws. To apply for a waiver, you would complete form I-601, mail it in, and wait for results.

If you are not granted a waiver, you must wait out your bar. However, when it has expired, you cannot simply apply for a new visa in the standard manner. You must apply for permission first, by completing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply. The rationale behind this step is that determining whether someone should be able to reapply is a time-consuming process, and it is better to save everyone time and trouble beforehand if reapplying for entry would be denied out of hand.

An Immigration Attorney Can Help

If you have a bar on your record, you will likely need the services of a competent immigration attorney. The Chicago immigration attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices LLC know the ins and outs of removal orders and bars to re-entry; we can help you navigate the process of reapplication and hopefully get you back to where you want to be. Contact our office today for a free initial consultation.

  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 35 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Joliet, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted