Bringing Family to the U.S. - DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah Law Offices LLC
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

Bringing Family to the U.S.

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

DuPage County immigration attorneys, U.S. immigration, family immigrationTo many people, family is absolutely everything. However, sometimes people have to leave family behind when immigrating to the United States due to legal obstacles, timing, or simply because they are unaware of the methods they could use to bring their families over. If you are in a similar position, it is generally a good idea to research all of your potential options.

Spouses and Children

Spouses and children are by far the most common family members that accompany immigrants into the United States. Most non-immigrant visas, such as H1B and L classifications, allow a person to bring his or her spouse and children with him or her on derivative visas. Most derivative statuses allow a spouse and children to remain for the duration of the primary visa, but do not grant any benefits such as the ability to apply for work authorization. There are, however, a few select visas under which derivative holders are entitled to benefits—H1B visas are an example of this, with H4 visa holders only recently being permitted to apply for Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) as of early 2015.

If you are intending to stay permanently, and are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (a “green card” holder), you are able to apply on your spouse and (minor or unmarried) children’s behalf for green card status. The process is the same if you are either status; you must complete an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for each person and submit it along with the relevant documentation. The only minor difference is that U.S. citizen relatives get first priority, while those of a lawful permanent resident get second priority.

Other Relatives: Preference Categories

If you are interested in helping relatives besides your spouse and children immigrate to the U.S. with you, there are slightly different mechanics to go through to set that process in motion.

Siblings and any married children you may have are the most common recipients of what are called preference categories, though you may only petition for them if you are a citizen, not a green card holder. Family visa petitions are grouped into preference categories to help stagger the influx of potential immigrants, with the closest familial relation in the highest category. Lower categories wait longer.

Be advised that you may not sponsor certain family members directly—for example, grandparents, parents-in-law, aunts, uncles or cousins. However, you may be able to sponsor someone who can. For example, if you wish to bring your mother-in-law over, you may not sponsor her—but your husband or wife could.

Seek Experienced Immigration Assistance

If you are trying to get a new start in the United States, it can be a huge boon to have your family by your side. Engaging the services of an experienced immigration lawyer can answer many of your questions and give you the best idea possible of how to proceed. The DuPage County immigration attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices LLC have helped many families stay hopeful during what can be a very long time apart. Please contact our offices today to schedule a free initial appointment.


Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted