DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah Law Offices LLC
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000


IL immigration lawyerThe health crisis of COVID-19 has affected millions of people across the globe. Governments issued executive orders to close certain businesses and keep citizens home by limiting gatherings in an effort to stop the spread of the highly contagious virus. Many employees in all types of industries have been temporarily laid off or furloughed due to the economic hardship the coronavirus has inflicted on the world. Some business owners have even been forced to sell or dissolve their companies altogether. The economic hardship that the world is experiencing has impacted the immigration process as well. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) manages the processing of applications for work permits, U.S. citizenship, Green Cards, and other immigration benefits. USCIS recently announced it would not furlough more than 13,000 employees as the agency had originally planned.

According to Deputy USCIS Director for Policy Joseph Edlow, the agency was able to avoid furloughing approximately 70 percent of its workforce because its financial situation had improved slightly since the spring after the COVID-19 pandemic caused a significant drop in petitions. Despite employee furloughs being canceled, for the time being, USCIS said it has to implement spending cuts to avoid immediate hardship on its employees. These budget cuts will impact all aspects of the agency, including its contracts.

Since USCIS is a fee-for-service organization, it relies on the revenue collected through visitor petitions and citizenship applications in order to keep the agency running. The pandemic has severely reduced its operating budget and forced the agency to ask Congress for $1.2 billion in emergency funding to continue operations at the start of the next fiscal year.

Hits: 31

IL immigrant lawyerThe U.S. immigration process can be complex, with different visas that allow immigrants to enter and remain in the country. The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is for victims of specific crimes who have sustained physical or mental abuse and who are able to assist police or government personnel in the investigation or prosecution of certain criminal offenses. Congress drafted the U nonimmigrant visa by passing the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (and the Battered Immigrant Women’s Protection Act) in the fall of 2000. The Act was signed by President Clinton and later reauthorized by Presidents Bush, Obama, and Trump. The goal of this legislation was to bolster the authority of police agencies in prosecuting domestic abuse, sexual assault, undocumented immigrant trafficking, and other criminal offenses.

Eligibility for Obtaining U Visa Status

An individual may be eligible for a U nonimmigrant visa if he or she:

  • Is the victim of qualifying criminal activity
  • Has suffered physical or mental abuse as a victim of a crime
  • Has information about the criminal activity
  • Has been helpful with law enforcement’s investigation or prosecution of the offense
  • The crime occurred on U.S. soil or violated U.S. laws
  • Is admissible to the United States

It is important to note that “next friend” refers to a person who appears in a lawsuit to represent an immigrant who is under 16 years old, who is incompetent or incapacitated, or who has suffered significant mental or physical abuse as a result of being a victim of qualifying crimes. These acts include but are not limited to violent crimes such as murder, manslaughter, vehicular homicide, robbery, and rape. The next friend is not party to the actual legal proceedings and does not act as a guardian. If someone is under 16 years old or is unable to provide detailed information because of a disability, his or her parent, guardian, or next friend may provide the information about the crime on his or her behalf. In addition, if someone is not admissible, he or she may apply for a waiver on Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant (Form I-192).

Hits: 81

IL immigration lawyerThere are many reasons why someone from another country may want to immigrate to the United States from his or her native land. In some cases, he or she may wish to flee religious persecution or obtain better employment or even join relatives who are already in the country. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers the immigration and naturalization process.

In 2000, the LIFE Act was passed and signed into law. The Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act was established so certain non-U.S. citizens in the United States can obtain a Green Card. In many cases, they would not otherwise qualify for an adjustment of status. The LIFE Act was based on legislative changes in response to immigration enforcement. Its purpose was to find a compromise between stopping illegal immigration while recognizing that U.S. citizens’ and lawful permanent residents’ (LPR) wishes to be together with their families. It is important to note that only certain immigrants are eligible for relief under the LIFE Act. If you believe you or your family member may qualify for this opportunity, a knowledgeable immigration attorney can explain your options.

Who Is Eligible for the LIFE Act?

In order to qualify for the LIFE Act, an individual must be the beneficiary of a labor certification or immigrant visa petition that was filed on or before April 30, 2001. In addition, he or she must complete an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and submit it with Form I-485. In the majority of cases, an extra $1,000 fee will apply.

Hits: 47

IL immigration attorneyThere are many reasons why a person from another country may want to move to the United States, including to care for relatives, obtain a graduate degree, or to find a better occupation. In some cases, though, an individual may be fleeing religious or government persecution. In many cases, life in America can offer them many benefits.

What Is an H-1B Visa?

The U.S. government offers different types of visas for which immigrants can apply if they want to enter the country legally. These include H-1B visas, family-based visas, student visas, employment-based visas, and temporary visas. H-1B visas allow foreign nationals to work in the United States within specialized industries for a temporary period of time. However, applicants must meet specific criteria in order to be eligible for these visas, including a certain level of education.

Upon receiving the H-1B visa, the immigrant can report to work for his or her sponsoring company. After moving to the United States, the employee is allowed to seek employment with a different employer, or transfer to a different company. H-1B visas may be complicated due to certain issues, such as initial approvals and employment transfers. That is why the legal guidance of a skilled immigration lawyer can help ensure a smooth process.

Hits: 110

b2ap3_thumbnail_shutterstock_146169356.jpgMany foreigners come to the United States looking to start a new life by becoming permanent, lawful residents. Maybe you are a student hoping to study at an American university, a person seeking more employment opportunities or a parent who wants a better life for their family. Anyone looking to become a lawful permanent U.S. resident will need to properly apply and obtain a Green Card. For those with family members who are already U.S. citizens or permanent residents, they are eligible to begin the immigration application process with the help of their family and an experienced attorney. Since the immigration process is very detail-oriented, time consuming and momentous to those looking to become permanent residents, it is important to have an immigration lawyer working by your side.

Green Card vs. Citizenship

The difference between lawful permanent residents, also known as Green Card holders, and U.S. citizens can be confusing for those considering immigrating to the United States. Those with Green Cards are not considered U.S. citizens, but are able to legally reside and work within the U.S.. The main difference between permanent residents and U.S. citizens is their ability to vote in U.S. elections. Citizens are able to vote, while permanent residents are not able to do so. Permanent residents are also unable to travel outside of the United States for a prolonged period of time as it could affect their residency status. Additionally, Green Card holders are not eligible for all forms of federal assistance until they have resided in the U.S. for at least five years. There are a number of ways that one can become eligible to obtain their Green Card, but it is important to know which category of familial relatives you fall under so that the application is properly completed.

Hits: 47

Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from four offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted