Changes in H-1B Visa Rules Benefit Spouses - DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000


555 S Randall Rd, Suite 101, St. Charles, IL 60174

Phone: 630-410-9176

Changes in H-1B Visa Rules Benefit Spouses

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

foreign worker, H-1B Visa rules, Chicago immigration attorneysFor years now, skilled workers have been permitted to immigrate temporarily to the United States under an H-1B visa. While most employment visas permit the holder to take his or her spouse and children along, he or she has not been permitted to obtain employment (with rare exceptions). However, that may soon change, depending on conditional factors.

The H-1B Visa

H-1B visas are non-immigrant employment visas, granted for a term of six years. They are to be used to hire foreign workers when no qualified candidates are available in the United States. They are granted to those of ‘special ability,’ which is essentially the best and brightest.

A worker does not technically apply for an H-1B visa; rather, he or she accepts a job offer from a U.S. employer, who then petitions for the visa for that worker. To qualify, the worker must meet five major criteria:

    • He or she must have an employer-employee relationship with that company, meaning that the company can hire, fire, supervise, or otherwise control that person’s work;

    • He or she must have a job qualified as a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as a job that requires a “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge,” and often mandates at least a bachelor’s degree;

    • The specialty occupation must be in a job related to the worker’s field of study;

    • An H-1B number must be available. There is a limit of 65,000 available per cap year.

If the petition is approved, an H-1B worker may bring his or her spouse and their minor children with them as dependents, classified as holders of H4 visas. After the initial term of their visa, the H1B holder may apply to adjust status, and depending on circumstances, may apply for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR, or “green card holder”) status.

H4 Visa Holder Changes

Historically, the spouses of H-1B holders, as dependents, were not permitted to work or even apply for a Social Security number. H4 visa holders were able to get driver’s licenses and open bank accounts—even get tax identification numbers—but Social Security numbers were not permitted. This is still the case for the majority of H4 visa holders. However, if an H4 holder is married to an H-1B holder who is in the process of applying for a green card, a recent Department of Homeland Security (DHS) ruling will allow them to apply for a work permit.

This move makes logical sense; if someone is applying to become a LPR, he or she must prove that they will be able to support themselves and their family. Permitting the person’s spouse to work not only helps with that hurdle, but also allows the family to put more back into the economy. Current estimates guess that as many as 179,000 spouses of H1B holders could apply for work permits this year, with 50-60,000 doing so in the years to come. There have been some opponents to the bill—Republicans allege that the jobs that will be taken should go to U.S. citizens—but the outlook appears generally positive.

An Immigration Attorney Can Help

Sometimes, even when the way appears clear, there can be confusion. In those instances, it is best to have a professional on your side. The Chicago immigration attorneys at Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices are well versed in the nuances of employment law, and can help you and your family stay together as you navigate a process that can be complex at the best of times. Contact us for a free initial consultation.

Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted