Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


58 N. Chicago Street, Suite 500, Joliet, IL 60432

Phone: 815-727-4500


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100

Obtaining the Right to Work: Employment Authorizations

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 1627
  • Print

DuPage County immigration attorneys, employment authorizationsMany who seek to come to the United States, either permanently or temporarily, seek the right to work in order to support themselves. However, depending on the type of visa one holds, he or she may or may not be able to do so. An employment authorization document (EAD) must be obtained.

There is a fair amount of misinformation surrounding employment authorizations, and it is imperative that you, as an arriving immigrant, understand the truth.

Who Needs an EAD?

Holders of immigrant visas generally do not require an EAD in order to work. Lawful permanent residents (or ‘green card’ holders, the most common immigrant visa holders) may work by virtue of their Alien Registration Card. Non-immigrant visa holders do not require EADs to work if they are employed by the program that brought them to the country. For example, an F1 student seeking on-campus employment for less than 20 hours per week does not require an EAD. Refugees and asylees must also have an EAD in order to work, although employment authorization is almost universally granted at the time asylum or refugee status is conferred upon the person.

There are some non-immigrant visa holders who are required to have both an EAD and a Labor Certification, issued by the Department of Labor. Many mistakenly believe that the two are the same; however, they are in fact very different. An EAD grants the right to work, while a Labor Certification merely certifies that there are no more qualified applicants for a specific position, allowing the green card or non-immigrant visa petition to go forward. The EAD is also not employer-specific, while a Labor Certification must be re-applied for if a holder switches employers.

The Application Process

In order to apply for an EAD, the appropriate form, the I-765, must be submitted to the right office, depending on where you are located in the United States. For example, immigrants located in Illinois must file their paperwork at the Phoenix office. By law, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must adjudicate your case within 90 days, and if they do not, you may apply for a temporary EAD (though getting one is not proof that you will succeed in obtaining a permanent EAD). If you are denied, you do not have a right of appeal, but you may file a motion to reconsider with the same office. The office will not simply make another decision, but will require proof that there was a misapplication of law or policy.

An Illinois Immigration Attorney Can Help

When you are required to work in order to support yourself, but are faced with obstacles in your way, it is only natural to want to remove those obstacles as quickly as possible. An experienced immigration lawyer can help. The skilled DuPage County immigration attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices LLC have several years of experience with employment authorization cases, and we are happy to help you with yours. Please contact our offices to set up a free initial consultation. Call 630-932-9100 today.





  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 35 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Joliet, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted