How Can I Help My Family Immigrate to the U.S.? | Illinois Immigration Lawyers
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

How Can I Help My Family Immigrate to the U.S.?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

Illinois immigration lawyersImmigrating to the U.S. and achieving lawful permanent resident status or citizenship is a significant accomplishment, but if you have family members who still live outside of the U.S., it may be important for you to help them legally immigrate as well so that you can be together. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has a process that makes family immigration possible, and an attorney can help you navigate this process so that you can reunite with your loved ones.

Which Family Members Have Immigration Priority?

The process of petitioning for lawful permanent residency is easier for some family members than others. If you are a born or naturalized U.S. citizen, you can petition for immediate family members without them having to join a waiting list. This includes your spouse, your children who are unmarried and under the age of 21, and your parents. You can also petition for your unmarried adult children, married children, and siblings, but keep in mind that visas for these categories are limited and there may be a significant waiting period before the application is approved. Additionally, you can petition for a K-1 visa for your fiancé or fiancée, which may lead to lawful permanent residency after you get married.

You can also petition for your family’s immigration if you are a lawful permanent resident, but in this case, qualifying relatives are limited to your spouse and your unmarried children. Visas for these family members are also limited, and they are processed at a lower priority than some family members of citizens.

What Do I Need to Do?

In order to petition for a Green Card for a family member, you will need to submit several forms and supporting information to USCIS. This includes:

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This includes information confirming your relationship with the person for whom you are petitioning. If you are petitioning for a fiance visa, you will instead need to submit form I-129.
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence. This includes information confirming your family member’s eligibility to become a lawful permanent resident, including their immigration history, criminal history, and marital history.
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. This confirms that you will take financial responsibility for your relative after they are admitted, and that they will not need to rely on government support.

Contact an Illinois Immigration Attorney

At the Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, we will help you take the necessary steps to begin the process of obtaining lawful permanent resident status for your family, and we can guide you through obstacles that you may encounter in the approval process. Contact an Illinois family immigration lawyer at 630-473-9685 for a free initial consultation.



Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from four offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted