How Can I Sponsor My Relative for Permanent Residency in the United States?
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

How Can I Sponsor My Relative for Permanent Residency in the United States?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

IL immigration lawyerImmigration is a hot topic these days, given recent government changes to the laws and increased enforcement at the United States/Mexico border. Many U.S. citizens have family members who wish to join them here. Any U.S. citizen can help a relative become a legal permanent resident of the United States by obtaining a “Green Card.” To accomplish this, a person must sponsor his or her relative and prove that he or she has enough income or assets to support the relative once he or she enters the United States. It is important to note that if the immigrant qualifies, he or she can apply for citizenship later. If you are considering sponsoring a loved one, you need to know the necessary legal steps to take.

Requirements for Sponsorship

Obtaining permanent resident status provides a family member with the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. The petitioner is required to show evidence to prove the familial relationship to the person for whom he or she is sponsoring. In order to sponsor a relative for permanent residency in the United States, there are several requirements that must be met:

  • The sponsor must have a qualifying family relationship with the beneficiary.
  • The person must be willing to sponsor the relative to become a legal permanent resident by filing a Petition for Alien Relative form (I-130).

A U.S. citizen can file a petition for these relatives:

  • Husband or wife
  • Children, married or unmarried

A U.S. citizen who is 21 years or older may also petition for the following family members:

  • Parents
  • Brothers or sisters

Steps for Sponsorship

  • If the relative is currently living outside the United States, file I-130 Petition for Alien Relative form and submit the I-864 Affidavit of Support.
  • The relative must appear at his or her local consulate to fill out an application and interview for visa.
  • If the relative is currently living in the United States, file I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Fill out the I-864 and give it to the relative, who attaches it to application and submits to USCIS.
  • The relative can apply for citizenship after at least three to five years.

Contact an Illinois Immigration Attorney

A lot of people come to the United States in hopes of having better lives. The immigration process can be daunting, especially given the recent rules imposed by the current administration. If your family member would like to enter the United States legally, you might be able to help him or her with the procedure. A knowledgeable Illinois immigration attorney can assist you in sponsoring your loved one who wishes to immigrate to the United States. To schedule a free consultation, call our office today at 630-932-9100.



  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted