Is Adjustment of Status Possible for Me? - DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah Law Offices LLC
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

Is Adjustment of Status Possible for Me?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

b2ap3_thumbnail_adjustment-of-status-Chicago_20170518-130805_1.jpgImmigrants arrive in the United States each day on nonimmigrant visas, allowing them to remain for a specific period of time, to do specific things. For example, a B2 visa allows someone to come to the U.S. for tourism.

However, if someone decides on a new path, or has the chance to do something different—for example, a foreign student finding a job in the United States—then he or she usually must become a lawful permanent resident (LPR) in order to do so. Some people can do so by filing for what is referred to as an adjustment of status (AOS) within the country. Still, some people are denied this opportunity. It is generally necessary to familiarize yourself with the AOS procedure before moving ahead.

The Basics 

One of the most important factors about adjusting status that must be understood is that undocumented immigrants may not do so, under any but the most unusual circumstances. They must return to their home country to complete consular processing. But, in most cases, leaving the United States would trigger a bar to re-entry based on unlawful presence.

If you are in the U.S. with documentation, however, you are able to apply to adjust status if you are the beneficiary of an approved I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as long as the priority date is current (that is, there is a visa available to grant to you).

There are categories of immigrant that are eligible to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident without being sponsored by a family member or employer. Still, these categories are much less common than the standard family or employment-based adjustments. Refugees and asylees may adjust status to that of an LPR after a certain time, as long as they still retain their refugee or asylee status. Additionally, as of this writing, special immigrant juveniles, as well as Cuban nationals who entered the U.S. under the Cuban Adjustment Act (after January 1, 1959) and have been present for one year or more, can do so as well. If you do not fit into any of these categories, you must return to your home country and apply for processing there.

The Process 

In order to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident, two applications must be filed with United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) in most cases. You must complete the I-485, which is the actual application to adjust status. Your family member or your employer, if applicable to your situation, must complete the I-130.

Usually, the I-130 must be approved before you may apply to adjust status, though in some cases the I-130 may be filed concurrently, such as if you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. If you fall into one of the categories where an approved immigrant petition is not required, you may simply send in the I-485 to the relevant processing center.

Most applicants for permanent resident status must also go through a medical exam, and it must be performed by a doctor designated as a civil surgeon. While most of the time this process goes smoothly, it is a good idea to keep in mind that the results will only be accepted by USCIS for a specific period of time—usually up to one year afterward. This is why many wait to have the medical exam performed until after their I-130 is approved—given the long wait for priority dates in certain categories, it makes more sense to wait and ensure that the year time limit does not lapse while you are waiting for approval. 

Contact an Immigration Attorney

Adjusting status can be a time-consuming and complex endeavor, but having an attorney on your side does help streamline the process more often than not. The zealous Chicago immigration attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices LLC are well versed in this area of the law, and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Contact the office today to set up a free consultation.


Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted