Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


58 N. Chicago Street, Suite 500, Joliet, IL 60432

Phone: 815-727-4500


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100

K Visas: Home and Family Together

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 1270
  • Print

Chicago immigration lawyers, K VisasOur world is more interconnected than it ever used to be, and as such, people are forming relationships far outside their usual sphere. If you are one of these people, you may want to bring a spouse or fiancé to live with you in the United States. There is a visa process by which you are able to do so without having to spend months or years apart.

The K Visa Process

If you marry your fiancé(e) outside the United States, you do not need to file for a K-visa; you would simply complete an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as spouses fall under this category for processing purposes. However, if you plan to marry once in the country, you would have to apply for a K visa for your fiancé(e)—he or she does not apply, but merely contributes any relevant documents to your application on his or her behalf.

Your application is completed on the form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), and you must be able to show four specific criteria before the petition may be granted. These include (1) proof of your U.S. citizenship; (2) proof that you and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry (not still married, in other words); (3) you intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry to the United States; and (4) you have met face-to-face at least once within two years of filing your petition. (There are waivers available for this requirement if you are part of a religion where this would be contrary to custom, or if meeting would constitute extreme hardship to you and you can prove this.)

After the Visa is Granted

After the visa is granted, it is imperative to understand that you must marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the country. If you do not, then his or her status will expire (since fiancé(e) status is not extendable), which means he or she will begin to accrue unlawful presence. Unlawful presence accumulates on one’s immigration record, and it can later lead to three or 10 year bars to immigration, for which waivers are very difficult to obtain.

If you do marry within the 90 days, your spouse can then apply to adjust status to permanent resident as well as apply for work authorization. One can apply for work authorization immediately, but you should be aware that the authorization will only be valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. Your spouse may apply for a longer authorization at the same time that he or she applies to adjust status; however, one may come before the other, depending on processing times at the relevant United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and/or Department of Labor (DoL) offices.

An Immigration Attorney Can Help

Bringing the person you have chosen to share your life with to the United States should be exciting. Yet it can often be a difficult process. However, contacting a knowledgeable immigration attorney can help to head off many problems before they happen. The skilled Chicago immigration lawyers at Mevorah Law Offices LLC are happy to assist with your fiancé(e) visa. Contact us today to set up an initial appointment.



  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 35 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Joliet, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted