Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


58 N. Chicago Street, Suite 500, Joliet, IL 60432

Phone: 815-727-4500


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100

Starting a New Life: K Visas

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 1937
  • Print

Chicago immigration lawyer, current immigration law, K visa, Mevorah Law Offices LLC, immigrant status, K1 petition, U.S. citizen fiancéeSometimes, one meets the person they want to marry outside their home country. This scenario has become so common that there is a U.S. visa category specifically for that purpose. If you want to marry a U.S. citizen, you will need to obtain a K visa, and it is often very helpful to have an experienced immigration attorney on your side.

Qualifying for a K Visa

A K visa is actually classed as a nonimmigrant visa, though the effect is the same as immigration. It is issued, as a K1, for the specific purpose of allowing a foreign-born fiancé(e) to enter the United States and marry their U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Once the fiancé(e) has entered the country, they must marry, and then adjust status to become an LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident).

The only real eligibility requirement besides being legally able to marry (of age and not already married) is that the future husband and wife (or, in the case of same-sex couples, spouse and spouse, as current immigration law now allows same-sex couples to be treated in the same way as heterosexual couples for purposes of immigration) must have met in person sometime within the two years before the K1 petition was filed. However, there are exceptions to this rule; you will not be expected to have met if it would be alien to your fiancé(e)'s culture or religion, or it would cause undue hardship to you or him/her to do so.

The petition first must be filed by the U.S. citizen in the United States. The fiancé(e) may submit their information from abroad, but the actual formal petition must be submitted in the U.S., and not to a consulate or embassy. Once both halves of the petition are filed, the fiancé(e) and any minor children they may have (who can be included on the petition) will attend an interview with a consular officer. The consul will investigate their situation, and verify the information they are submitting (including whether or not the relationship appears legitimate). They will take any documents, including proof that the incoming immigrant(s) will be financially supported by either themselves or the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

After that, if the consul is satisfied, the visa will be granted, and the fiancé(e) will be able to immigrate. However, one criteria upon which visa issuance is conditional is that the wedding must take place within 90 days after the fiancé(e) enters the country. Otherwise, the fiancé(e) will be subject to removal proceedings, as fiancé(e) status cannot be extended.

Important Consideration

Something to keep in mind is that a K1 visa is not your only option. If you decide to marry outside the United States (for example, in your fiancé(e)’s home country), your new spouse may apply for a K3 visa. K3s are for the spouses of U.S. citizens who are currently waiting for their petitions to be approved by the immigration office. The advantage of a K3 over a K1 is that you can wait for permanent residence while you are inside the country, surrounded by family. There is no family separation, and you already are legally married, so you have some status to begin with.

If you are in need of help with a K visa of any kind, the DuPage County lawyers of Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Please do not hesitate to contact us for a consultation.

  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyers
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 35 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Joliet, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted