DuPage County Immigration Attorneys | Mevorah Law Offices LLC
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


333 N. Randall Road, Suite 104, St. Charles, IL 60175

Phone: 630-443-0600


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000
Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in Illinois immigration lawyer

IL immigration lawyerImmigration is a popular topic these days due to the current White House administration’s focus on securing our borders. If someone from another country wishes to become a United States citizen, it is not as easy as simply obtaining a passport and buying a plane ticket. A foreign national must complete many legal steps to immigrate to the United States. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers the country’s immigration and naturalization system. The USCIS recently released a set of guidelines on what to do if an alien’s conditional permanent residence status ends.

What Is Conditional Permanent Residence Status?

A Conditional Permanent Resident (CPR) is when a foreign national is granted permanent resident status in the United States on a conditional basis. This can be a spouse of a U.S. citizen or an immigrant entrepreneur (investor). As a CPR, an alien receives a Green Card, which is valid for two years.

If a CPR wishes to become a permanent resident, he or she must file a petition to remove the conditional status within 90 days before the Green Card expires. The conditions must be removed or the immigrant will lose permanent resident status.

Hits: 129

IL immigration lawyerNot all members of the same family are born in the same country. In many cases, parents choose to immigrate to the United States from another country as a way of escaping religious persecution and to provide their family with new opportunities and a better life. Many of these immigrants come to our country for employment through work visas or permits. Recently, however, the Trump administration released a proposal to restrict the number of work permits given to asylum seekers.

What Is a U.S. Work Permit?

A work permit is a photo identity card issued by USCIS. It is also called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The EAD looks similar to a U.S. driver’s license. Those immigrants who possess an EAD can show it to prospective employers as proof of their right to work in the country for a specified amount of time. The other documents that allow an alien to work in the United States include a Green Card, also known as a Permanent Residence Card, or an Employment-based Visa. Every employer in the United States must request proof of a new employee’s immigration status or right to work. Companies that violate this rule can face repercussions.

Purpose and Procedures of the Proposal

U.S. immigration officials say limiting these work permits would deter those immigrants who enter the country purely for economic reasons. It would also automatically disqualify those asylum seekers who have been arrested or convicted of felony offenses.

Hits: 175

IL immigration lawyerMany people around the world wish to enter the United States lawfully to start a new life. Under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a person can sponsor an individual for a family-based Green Card, which is also referred to as U.S. lawful permanent residence. In the majority of these most cases, an Affidavit of Support for that person must be filed using USCIS Form I-864. Sponsoring a friend or loved one to come to the United States is a serious responsibility that must not be taken lightly. It is important to understand the legal ramifications of this immigration undertaking.

Who Can Be a Sponsor?

Any person wishing to be a financial sponsor for an immigrant must meet several qualifications to be approved for this role. Each sponsor must be all of the following:

  • A U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
  • At least 18 years old
  • Reside in the United States or a U.S. territory or possession

Affidavit of Support

U.S. immigration law requires an immigrant’s sponsor to sign an Affidavit of Support according to the Immigration and Nationality Act, which pledges financial support for the sponsored immigrant. Upon signing and submitting this official document or a “Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member,” the sponsor agrees to use his or her financial resources to support the designated immigrant. This also includes reimbursement for the cost of any public benefits that the sponsored person receives while the obligation is in effect.

Hits: 148

IL immigration lawyerBeing granted the opportunity to attend an academic institution or vocational training program in the United States is an achievement for any foreign student to accomplish. Upon being authorized to study at the preferred institution, incoming visitors must also be granted a student visa to support their time in the United States. A student visa is a form of documentation that allows a citizen of a foreign country to enter the United States for educational purposes.

Student Visa Categories

Upon being accepted to his or her desired school of choice, the incoming student must register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Once certified, the pupil will receive a “Form I-20,” a required document for any international student. The remaining action would be to apply for the correct student visa category, which is distinguished into two classifications:

  • Category F-1 would be for people looking to attend a private elementary school, high school, university/college, seminary, conservatory, or any different educational institution, such as a language training program.
  • Category M-1 applies to anyone who is seeking vocational training or is enrolled in another non-academic institution.

Within each category, there is a visa available for the student’s spouse or minor child so that they would be able to accompany the student.

Hits: 280

IL immigration lawyerImmigration is a hot topic these days, given recent government changes to the laws and increased enforcement at the United States/Mexico border. Many U.S. citizens have family members who wish to join them here. Any U.S. citizen can help a relative become a legal permanent resident of the United States by obtaining a “Green Card.” To accomplish this, a person must sponsor his or her relative and prove that he or she has enough income or assets to support the relative once he or she enters the United States. It is important to note that if the immigrant qualifies, he or she can apply for citizenship later. If you are considering sponsoring a loved one, you need to know the necessary legal steps to take.

Requirements for Sponsorship

Obtaining permanent resident status provides a family member with the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. The petitioner is required to show evidence to prove the familial relationship to the person for whom he or she is sponsoring. In order to sponsor a relative for permanent residency in the United States, there are several requirements that must be met:

  • The sponsor must have a qualifying family relationship with the beneficiary.
  • The person must be willing to sponsor the relative to become a legal permanent resident by filing a Petition for Alien Relative form (I-130).

A U.S. citizen can file a petition for these relatives:

Hits: 296

Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted