What Are the Rules for Obtaining a Fiancé(e) Visa? | Illinois Immigration Attorney
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
Free Initial Consultation | Se habla español 630-932-9100
Mevorah Law Offices LLC
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

What Are the Rules for Obtaining a Fiancé(e) Visa?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

IL immigration attorneyNot all couples who marry are from the same state or even country. Two people who are engaged to be married may live across the globe from each other. This long-distance relationship can be challenging, emotionally and legally. If someone is a U.S. citizen and wants his or her “betrothed” to live in the United States, there are certain stipulations that must be met first before they can move here. Securing a fiancé(e) visa can be a complicated endeavor, but necessary for a loved one to enter the United States legally. In some cases, couples may choose to get married abroad so the foreign spouse would enter the United States on a K-3 (married) visa. Each couple is unique, so it is best to seek legal counsel to determine the best course of action for your immigration situation.

Immigration Visa Laws

The first step in bringing your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States is filing a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), which is Form I-129F. This will allow him or her to obtain a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, which is also referred to as a fiancé(e) visa.

A couple must be married within three months and the union must be legitimate, meaning both partners have an intent to begin a life together and the marriage is not solely for immigrating to the United States.

Once married, the fiancé(e) can apply for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status in the United States, which grants him or her a Green Card. An individual can bring a fiancé(e) to the United States as long as the following criteria are met:

  • You are a U.S. citizen
  • You and your fiancé(e) plan to legally marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entrance to the United States on a K-1 nonimmigrant visa
  • You and your fiancé(e) are legally allowed to marry (any prior marriages have been legally terminated by death, divorce, or annulment)
  • You and your fiancé(e) were together in person at least one time within two years before you filed your petition

A person may request a waiver of the in-person meeting qualification if he or she can show that meeting face-to-face would violate strict and enduring customs of his or her fiancé(e)’s cultural customs or social circumstances, or result in significant hardship to the petitioner.

In addition, if the fiancé(e) has dependent children who are under 21 years old, they can apply for a K-2 visa to enter the United States with the K-1 visa holder.

Contact an Illinois Immigration Attorney

Having your fiancé(e) join you in the United States can be an exciting time. However, there are rules and regulations for securing the necessary paperwork if he or she is coming from a different country. The knowledgeable Illinois immigration lawyers at Mevorah Law Offices LLC have decades of experience handling all types of immigration issues. We can help you navigate the visa process so you can begin your new life with your loved one as soon as possible. Call our office today at 630-932-9100 to schedule a free consultation.




Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from four offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted