What is the Difference Between a Fiancé Visa and a Spousal Visa? | Illinois Immigration Attorneys
Button 3 Button 1 Button 2 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


105 W. Madison Street, Suite 2200, Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 630-932-9100


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

What is the Difference Between a Fiancé Visa and a Spousal Visa?

Posted on in Immigration
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

Chicago family immigration attorneysIf you are a U.S. citizen in a romantic relationship with someone from another country, it is understandable that you would want your partner to be able to live with you in the United States. Fortunately, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers a couple of options that can make this possible, but it is important that you understand which is best for your situation and the different requirements involved with obtaining either a fiancé or spousal visa.

Requirements for a Fiancé Visa

A fiancé, or K-1, visa is an option in most cases where a U.S. citizen is engaged to a non-U.S. citizen who is currently living outside of the United States. To be eligible to apply for a K-1 visa, you and your partner both must be legally able to marry, you must have met each other in person within two years of your application, and you must intend to marry within 90 days after your fiancé arrives in the United States.

To start the process of obtaining a fiance visa, the U.S. citizen needs to file a Petition for Alien Fiancé, Form I-129F. If the petition is approved, the foreign fiancé will need to apply for a K-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy in his or her country of residence. After your fiancé arrives in the U.S. with a valid K-1 visa, you must marry within 90 days, after which your spouse can apply to obtain a Green Card and become a lawful permanent resident. However, if you do not marry within 90 days, your fiancé must leave the United States or risk deportation.

Options if You Are Already Married

If you are a U.S. citizen who is already legally married to a non-U.S. citizen, you can apply for his or her Green Card and lawful permanent residency without requiring a visa. To do so, you should file a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130, along with documentation including your marriage certificate, proof of your citizenship, and evidence that you and your spouse are lawfully married. You may also need to submit an application for adjustment of your spouse’s status if he or she is currently living in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa.

If your application is successful, your spouse can be admitted to the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident. However, the application process can take some time, and you may choose to apply for a K-3 visa that allows your spouse to live in the U.S. while the application is pending. In this case, you should follow the same steps as you would to apply for a fiancé visa.

Contact an Illinois Immigration Attorney

At Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, we understand that the U.S. immigration system can sometimes feel like an obstacle to your family’s ability to live together, and we are committed to helping you take the necessary steps to ensure that you can legally reside and marry in the United States. Contact an Illinois immigration lawyer at 630-473-9685 to schedule a free consultation.






Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Immigration Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from four offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted